Playing Against Cappers
- Download MP4 video - 72.3MB (right click > save link as)
Table of Contents + Time Links
- (0:00) Intro.
- (0:45) Hand 1 - Set mining vs. capper example. [Crushing Shortstackers, SPR, set mining is covered in Baby Pairs, effective stacks]
- (3:35) Hand 2 - AJ on the BTN vs EP capper raiser.
- (7:27) Hand 3 - Hero opens from MP1 with K Q. Capper calls on BTN. T 8 4 [SPR, FE calculator, PokerStove]
- (10:35) Hand 4 - Raise with 44 in MP2, capper calls in BB. Capper checks to Hero on KQ6 flop.
- (12:54) Hand 5 - Raise sizing vs. cappers. Stealing with Q9s from the BTN. [Blind Stealing]
- (15:39) Hand 6 - 3betting UTG raiser with KK in MP2.
- (17:50) Hand 7 - 3betting UTG raiser with KK in MP2. Ace on flop. [Combos vid, combos article]
- (21:15) Hand 8 - MP1 raiser, Hero calls with JJ in the CO. AQ7 flop.
- (25:08) Hand 9 - Light 3betting. [When 3Bets Go Wrong (pt. 1)]
- (29:09) Hand 10 - Light 4betting. [HUD stats, working out EV]
- (31:37) Hand 11 - Capper stack size variations (30bb - 50bb).
- (34:47) Video recap.
Playing Against Cappers.
- Type: Hand Replayer
- Stakes: $100NL
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:35:23
- Added: 18 November 2011
This video focuses on how to play against and how to beat cappers in NLHE. A capper or a cap stack is a player with a stack size of around 40bb.
- Short stack = ~20bb
- Capper = ~40bb
Cappers have those awkward stack sizes that aren't easy to play against like the more straightforward short stacks (<=20bb), or the familiar full stacks (100bb+). Cappers sit right in that middle-of-the-road "grey area" that you don't often encounter and so have less experience in dealing with.
The aim of this video is to help plug the leaks and fix the biggest mistakes you make when playing against cappers.
SplitSuit runs through 11 HHs of tricky hands involving cappers. In each HH you can often make arguments for folding, calling or raising. SplitSuit weighs up the pros and cons of each option before deciding upon (and giving the explanation behind) the optimal play.
Note: This is not strictly a strategy video for playing in CAP stack games. Instead, the strategy is aimed toward playing against cappers in standard 100bb FR NLHE games.
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.
Are you finding this site useful?
Did you enjoy or find this page helpful? Better yet, did you like it?
If so, "like" my The Poker Bank facebook page so that you don't miss out on fresh strategy updates. Videos and articles and stuff.