Inverse (Part 3) - Playing AJ
- Download MP4 video - 63.4MB (right click > save link as)
INVERSE (part 3) - Ace Jack.
- Type: INVERSE
- Stakes: $50NL
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:34:15
- Added: 11 August 2011
INVERSE pt. 3 overview.
What is an "INVERSE" video? Check out INVERSE part 1 for an explanation.
INVERSE part 3 is the first video in this series that looks at $50NL hand histories from SplitSuit's own database (as opposed to student or user-submitted HHs like the last 2). Split is highly objective about the way he played these hands though, so there's no sugar-coating here.
INVERSE pt. 3 also dedicated to one starting hand in particular; Ace-Jack, both suited and unsuited. Why AJ? Because it's a tricky hand and it can cause a bunch of problems.
Honestly, this INVERSE vid could easily be re-titled to "how to play AJ in Texas Hold'em". This strategy video contains 8 hand history reviews of SplitSuit playing AJ in various preflop and postflop situations. The different scenarios include:
- Playing AJ out of position.
- Isolating with AJ.
- Squeezing with AJ.
- Continuation betting the flop as a bluff with AJ.
- Playing AJ in a multi-way pot.
- Playing Ace Jack from the blinds.
It's not an exhaustive list of every single possible way to play Ace-Jack in Texas Hold'em, but it's as close to a complete strategy video guide that you're going to get.
Oh, and there's also the return of the report card at the end:
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Table of contents.
- (0:00) Intro
- (1:11) Hand 1 – Flatting with AJs in CO. AJ7 flop.
- (4:44) Hand 2 - AJs in the BB. UTG and SB limp, Hero raises, UTG calls. 2QT flop OOP.
- (8:20) Hand 3 - Isolating with AhJh on the BTN. 4h7hTd flop (nut flush draw). [bet sizing, equity]
- (13:41) Hand 4 - Raising with AdJd from HJ after 1 limper. 6d2c4d flop (nut flush draw). [isolation video, winrate]
- (17:38) Hand 5 - Open with AJs from HJ. Both CO and BTN call. Hero cbets 4K5 flop OOP. [double barreling, multiple level thinking]
- (21:27) Hand 6 - Isolating with AJo on the BTN. Multi-way pot, 849 flop.
- (24:19) Hand 7 - Squeezing with AJo on the BTN. Both HJ and CO call, Hero cbets on 732 flop. [squeezing video, semi bluffing]
- (27:42) Hand 8 - Open with AJ on the BTN. Get min 3bet by BB. [blind stealing, way ahead way behind, inelastic]
- (31:38) Video recap
- (32:10) Report card
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.
Are you finding this site useful?
Did you enjoy or find this page helpful? Better yet, did you like it?
If so, "like" my The Poker Bank facebook page so that you don't miss out on fresh strategy updates. Videos and articles and stuff.