Stealing - SplitSuit
- Download MP4 video - 84.5MB (right click > save link as)
Table of Contents + Time Links
- (0:00) Intro
- (0:30) Video outline
- (1:20) The basics
- (1:20) What is a "steal"? [ATS stat is covered in HUD Ninja]
- (4:35) Steal bet sizing [bet sizing]
- (7:27) Stealing frequency based on position [winrate]
- (10:11) Stealing with a dynamic range
- (14:53) Table selection - the core 5 - (looking at the 3 players to your left and 2 to your right)
- (18:44) Dynamic thinking
- (19:55) Thinking about potential resteals - 4betting
- (24:07) Calling resteals (3bets)
- (29:21) Flop play after calling a 3bet
- (32:08) Facing resteals with small pairs [Baby Pairs]
- (35:08) Postflop play
- (43:07) Video recap
- Type: Concept
- Stakes: -
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:44:20
- Added: 22 August 2011
This concept video focuses on blind stealing in NL Texas Hold'em cash games. SplitSuit is a FR player mostly, so all of the examples are in the 9-player full-ring cash game format. However, the majority of the ideas and concepts will apply to 6max blind stealing also.
There are two main sections to this video:
- The basics of stealing.
- Advanced stealing concepts and examples.
1) The basics.
Along with a quick technical explanation of "stealing", this first section covers fundamental blind stealing strategy like:
- How much to bet when stealing.
- How often to attempt to steal the blinds.
- Which players you should and should not try to steal against.
- The value of attempting to steal the blinds (in terms of its effect on your winrate).
2) The more advanced part.
After nailing the basics, the second section looks at all the outcomes and considerations involved in good blind stealing.
- How to react to resteals (3bets) from players in the blinds after attempting a steal.
- Whether or not to 4bet when facing a resteal.
- Postflop play after calling a resteal.
The second section contains a number of hand history examples to help reinforce the strategy concepts and ideas.
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.
Are you finding this site useful?
Did you enjoy or find this page helpful? Better yet, did you like it?
If so, "like" my The Poker Bank facebook page so that you don't miss out on valuable strategy article updates I make to this site in the future.