When 3Bets Go Wrong (Part 1)
- Download MP4 video - 69.6MB (right click > save link as)
Table of Contents + Time Links
- (0:00) Intro
- (0:58) Hand 1 - 3betting the UTG raiser with 99. [VPIP/PFR]
- (4:19) Hand 2 - 3betting the CO from the SB with 99. [SPR]
- (7:34) Hand 3 - 3betting the CO from the BB with AJo. [Playing AJ INVERSE video]
- (12:08 ) Hand 4 - 3betting the MP raiser from the CO with A3s, BTN shoves for 44bbs. [Pokerstove, How To Use PokerStove video at SplitSuit.com]
- (15:40 ) Hand 5 - 3betting (restealing) the BTN with Q9s in the BB. [semi-bluff, effective stacks, FE calculator]
- (19:40) Hand 6 - 3betting a TAG in MP with K5s from the BTN. [double barreling]
- (24:40) Hand 7 - 3betting the SB from the BB with KQs.
- (27:45) Hand 8 - Squeezing in the HJ with AQs. Initial raiser shoves for 25bbs. [Bluff Squeezes]
- (30:27) Hand 9 - 3betting EP raiser from the BB with AQo.
- (33:10) Video recap
When 3bets go wrong part 1.
- Type: Hand Replayer
- Stakes: $50NL
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:34:07
- Added: 01 November 2011
This is Split's first episode in a series dedicated to 3bet situations. But it's not just standard 3betting spots, it's hands where the Hero 3bets and the hoped or expected outcome doesn't happen. This is usually when either:
- Villain calls when Hero expects them to fold.
- Villain 4bets the Hero's 3bet.
SplitSuit discusses how to react to these 3bet situations preflop, and how to play postflop if you decide to continue (the content is heavily weighted toward the postflop strategy). The concept of SPR is mentioned frequently, along with the use of trusty PokerStove when calculating equity in all-in situations.
The format of this strategy video is similar to the Limped Pots HH review vid, except the only difference here is that all the hands start with a 3bet that's gone wrong in some way. Seeing as 3betting is a tricky aspect for both new and intermediate players, it makes for an interesting training video. Enjoy!
All of the hands in this 3betting HH replayer video have been taken from full ring $50NL.
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.
Are you finding this site useful?
Did you enjoy or find this page helpful? Better yet, did you like it?
If so, "like" my The Poker Bank facebook page so that you don't miss out on fresh strategy updates. Videos and articles and stuff.