Download MP4 video - 78.5MB (right click > save link as)
Table of Contents + Time Links
- (0:00) Intro
- (1:13) Hand 1 - Dem Apples (AQ on QKQ flop)
Catching trips on the flop and last to act against two players.
- (6:47) Hand 2 - Gone Fishin' (AQ on 2A7 flop)
Catching top-pair with AQ against one half-stack opponent.
- (10:21) Hand 3 - We Has Cards (AQ on AJT flop)
Squeezing with AQ in the BB. Villain overbet shoves on the turn.
- (15:27) Hand 4 - Easter Eggs (AQ on 7A3 flop)
Getting 3bet by the BB after raising with AQs on the button. Villain is aggressive on the flop and turn - Hero has TPGK.
- (22:12) Hand 5 - Easy Math (AQ preflop)
Squeezing against three players from the BB. Small stack shoves all-in for 35bb.
- (26:20) Hand 6 - Awkward (AQ on 2Q6 flop)
Raising with AQ from UTG, two callers. Hero cbets with TPTK, villain raises..
A Collection of Suited Connectors.
- Type: Hand Replayer
- Stakes: $100NL
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:32:45
- Added: 17 August 2013
How to play Ace Queen (AQ) in NL Hold'em. Six hand histories are analyzed and discussed.
AQ is not a hand that's designed to win big pots regularly. It's usually a TPTK/TPGK affair at best, so even though it's a gorgeous hand you have to tread carefully. Therefore, a lot of the strategy in this video revolves around maximizing winnings and minimizing losses when playing ace-queen.
So basically, you're going to want to learn how to get value from top-pair whilst simultaneously avoiding losing money with top-pair. It's a tricky art, but SplitSuit guides you through.
There are also a couple of squeezing spots thrown in for good measure (Hand 3 and Hand 5).
SplitSuit has a video dedicated to Bluff Squeezes if you're interested in fine-tuning your squeezing game.
Other notable spots in this video include:
- Hand 1 - Checking behind with trips on the turn in an attempt to be deceptive and extract value on the river instead. Good range analysis on the turn.
- Hand 2 - Missing value with TPGK due to not betting three streets against a fishy half-stack player.
- Hand 3 - Should you bet or check with AQ on an AJT flop after squeezing preflop? Facing an awkward overbet shove on the turn with top pair.
- Hand 4 - Calling multiple streets with TPGK against an aggressive player who 3bet preflop.
- Hand 5 - Using PokerStove to work out whether or not it's +EV to call a 35bb all-in shove when getting odds of 2.3 to 1 (needing 30% equity to break even).
- Hand 6 - Getting raised with TPTK on the flop. Discussion on folding TPTK on the flop against a Nit (see Player Types).
- "It's okay to bet/fold top-pair sometimes."
- "I'd rather make a small folding mistake than a huge shoving mistake."
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.