Download MP4 video - 64.3MB (right click > save link as)
Baby Pairs video info.
- Type: Concept
- Stakes: -
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:32:58
- Added: 04 August 2011
This concept video is all about making money with baby pairs in Texas Hold'em cash games.
Baby pairs, "small pocket pairs" or just "small pairs" refer to the lowest group of pocket-pair starting hands in Texas Hold'em, usually ranging from 22 to 66. Despite being attractive preflop, small pocket pairs are notorious for causing problems postflop, forcing even the experienced players in to making unprofitable decisions.
SplitSuit's aim in this strategy video is to highlight how you can make money with these small pocket pairs, covering both preflop strategy and postflop strategy. There are also frequent mentions of the most common mistakes made by beginner players when dealing with small pairs throughout the course of the video.
Other tips and sections in this training video include:
- How to set mine profitably + a general rule of thumb for cold calling different bet sizes preflop.
- When to open with baby pairs.
- The value of 3betting with small pocket pairs preflop.
- How to play pocket pairs postflop when you hit your set.
- How to play pocket pairs postflop when you miss your set.
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Table of contents.
- (0:00) Intro
- (0:21) Video outline
- (1:05) Set mining
- (1:05) What is set mining? [implied odds]
- (4:13) What to look for before set mining
- (7:16) Math for set mining (5/10 rule) [effective stacks]
- (10:02 ) Example - A common mistake: peeling on missed flops [common mistakes 2]
- (12:53) Playing postflop [minimax]
- (16:11) 3betting
- (16:29) Example - 44 in BB. CO raises. Should we fold, call, or raise (3bet)? [blockers - combos video]
- (21:31) Opening with small pocket pairs
- (24:56) Example 1 - Opening with 22 from the CO
- (26:28) Example 2 - Opening with 44 from MP. BTN and BB call. AT3 flop. [cbetting video]
- (28:56) Example 3 - Same hand as above except Q94 flop (we hit a set). [classifying hand strength is covered in common mistakes 2, how to work out EV]
- (31:21) Video recap
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.