Inverse (Part 3) - Playing AJ
Download MP4 video - 63.4MB (right click > save link as)
INVERSE (part 3) - Ace Jack.
- Type: INVERSE
- Stakes: $50NL
- Game: Full Ring
- Tables: -
- Length: 00:34:15
- Added: 11 August 2011
INVERSE pt. 3 overview.
What is an "INVERSE" video? Check out INVERSE part 1 for an explanation.
INVERSE part 3 is the first video in this series that looks at $50NL hand histories from SplitSuit's own database (as opposed to student or user-submitted HHs like the last 2). Split is highly objective about the way he played these hands though, so there's no sugar-coating here.
INVERSE pt. 3 also dedicated to one starting hand in particular; Ace-Jack, both suited and unsuited. Why AJ? Because it's a tricky hand and it can cause a bunch of problems.
Honestly, this INVERSE vid could easily be re-titled to "how to play AJ in Texas Hold'em". This strategy video contains 8 hand history reviews of SplitSuit playing AJ in various preflop and postflop situations. The different scenarios include:
- Playing AJ out of position.
- Isolating with AJ.
- Squeezing with AJ.
- Continuation betting the flop as a bluff with AJ.
- Playing AJ in a multi-way pot.
- Playing Ace Jack from the blinds.
It's not an exhaustive list of every single possible way to play Ace-Jack in Texas Hold'em, but it's as close to a complete strategy video guide that you're going to get.
Oh, and there's also the return of the report card at the end:
James "SplitSuit" Sweeney is author of Dynamic Full Ring Poker: Beyond The Basics. He also coaches at his personal website www.SplitSuit.com. He uses the alias *Split* at the 2+2 forums, which is where you can find his famous contributions to the COTW thread.
Table of contents.
- (0:00) Intro
- (1:11) Hand 1 – Flatting with AJs in CO. AJ7 flop.
- (4:44) Hand 2 - AJs in the BB. UTG and SB limp, Hero raises, UTG calls. 2QT flop OOP.
- (8:20) Hand 3 - Isolating with AhJh on the BTN. 4h7hTd flop (nut flush draw). [bet sizing, equity]
- (13:41) Hand 4 - Raising with AdJd from HJ after 1 limper. 6d2c4d flop (nut flush draw). [isolation video, winrate]
- (17:38) Hand 5 - Open with AJs from HJ. Both CO and BTN call. Hero cbets 4K5 flop OOP. [double barreling, multiple level thinking]
- (21:27) Hand 6 - Isolating with AJo on the BTN. Multi-way pot, 849 flop.
- (24:19) Hand 7 - Squeezing with AJo on the BTN. Both HJ and CO call, Hero cbets on 732 flop. [squeezing video, semi bluffing]
- (27:42) Hand 8 - Open with AJ on the BTN. Get min 3bet by BB. [blind stealing, way ahead way behind, inelastic]
- (31:38) Video recap
- (32:10) Report card
Go back to the immense Texas Hold'em strategy videos.